Anxiety is a common and normal emotion that everyone experiences at some point in their lives. However, prolonged anxiety can become harmful, affecting various aspects of a teenager’s life, including physical and emotional health, school performance, and social interactions. For teens who struggle with anxiety, it is essential to find ways to manage these feelings before they become overwhelming.
At Imagine Spokane, our anxiety treatment program for teens focuses on a holistic approach, including therapy, medication management, and self-care activities for anxiety. Self-care is critical to maintaining mental wellness and anxiety, and teens have unique needs that require specific self-care activities.
At Imagine Spokane, we understand the importance of self-care and offer services catering to teens’ unique needs. Contact us today at 509.870.3810 to learn more.
Self-Care Activities for Teens
Self-care activities for anxiety can help teens take control of their emotions and reduce stress levels. Here are some activities that can be done at home:
- Deep breathing techniques – Taking deep breaths is a simple and effective way to calm down. Inhale deeply and hold it for a few seconds before exhaling slowly. Repeat this several times when feeling anxious.
- Get active – Exercise and physical activity can also be an effective way to manage anxiety. Going for a walk, jog, or bike ride can help clear the mind and provide a break from negative thoughts.
- Focus on the present – Mindfulness and meditation techniques can help teens focus on the present and let go of worries about the future. This can include listening to soothing music or sitting in a quiet space to clear their minds.
Talking to someone you trust, whether family members or friends, can be an effective self-care activity to help with anxiety. Having an outlet to express feelings can help alleviate stress and anxiety.
Self-Care Activities to Help Anxiety
There are additional self-care activities for teens that may help with anxiety. These can include:
- Journaling – Encourage teens to write their feelings down. Journaling can provide an outlet to express emotions and reflect on their thoughts.
- Engage in creative activities – Hobbies such as painting, drawing, or playing an instrument can be an excellent way to alleviate anxiety. Creative activities can help remove the focus from negative thoughts and allow one to channel emotions positively.
- Take care of the body – Encourage teens to take care of their bodies by getting enough sleep, eating healthily, and drinking plenty of water. A healthy body leads to better mental health.
Help teens identify and learn how to avoid anxiety triggers. This may include limiting social media use or avoiding specific situations that heighten anxiety.
How Can Imagine Spokane Help?
At Imagine Spokane, we understand that each patient is unique and requires personalized treatment plans. Our mental health and behavioral health programs for 12-17-year-olds include PHP and step-down to IOP, trauma-informed care, medication management, educational advocacy, group, individual and family therapies, and evidence-based therapies such as CBT, DBT, and trauma therapy.
We also understand the importance of self-care activities for anxiety, so we work with our patients to provide them with the tools and resources they need to manage their symptoms. If you or someone you know is struggling with anxiety, please get in touch with us to learn how we can help.
Start Anxiety Treatment Today at Imagine Spokane
Managing anxiety can be challenging, but using the right tools and self-care activities for teens can reduce symptoms and improve overall well-being. Remember that seeking professional help and engaging in self-care is essential. Contact Imagine Spokane at 509.870.3810 or through our web portal to learn more about our adolescent mental health programs and how we can help.